The Happy Hobo.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Gone Solo: And there was New York.

It is what it is. Taken at NYC-MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) last Sept. 2010. 
Went on a three-month solo hobo-ing in the US from west to east coast. On a verytight budget, I stayed in hostels, relatives' homes and friends' couches. It was very memorable.

A highlight of the hobo-ing was a solo tripping to NYC, living only from the few bucks my brother gave me. I was dead broke, but I really wanted to go, so I bet on all odds.

I was en route to NYC again w/ my family a few weeks after this solo trip, but I was positive that most of the places I wanted to check out would give them the cringed look, so I went ahead.

It was a visual fest, this trip. I walked the whole day and took subways and fed on cheap felafel and dollar pizzas. I spent hours in parks, museum and bookstores, without paying a single penny. And I was more than happy. :)

All of the hostels on my list were fully booked, leaving me with a spot in downtown Manhattan, somewhere near 106th Street, I think. Goodness, it killed my purse. Wanting to be totally away from people I know, I looked for hostel even nearing Brooklyn, but my money still can't pay for it. Thankfully, my brother's friend adopted me for a night. That was a breather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment